Friday, June 13, 2014

Not what I wanted

I start my first scheduled duty day today.  I am very excited and nervous.  The company I work for has blocks of reserve days mixed in with line holding trips. I was scheduled for a 3 day block starting today.  Every morning, scheduling goes through the trips in "open time" (trips that need additional flight attendants do to call outs, miss connects, etc.) for the next day and start giving those trips to people on reserve. Any flight attendant can look at the trips in open time and preference what they want, the caveat to that is the preferences trips are awarded in seniority order.

So this is how things went down for me.  I worked hard going through all of the trips available in open time-44 in case you were wondering-and viewed where they were going (lots of international locals)!  I preferences those first and then preferences all of my domestic trips by highest credit flight time to lowest.  I was a little bummed to see that I was awarded a standby day for today but then I was "released until report"! A HUGE blessing in disguise.  My grandmother just so happened to be having surgery on her hand yesterday and I was able to go be with her and my mother instead of having to fly out yesterday to get ready to be on call at midnight.

The moral of the story: you may not always get what you want but you will ALWAYS get what you need.

Also, for those wondering, my grandmother did great during the surgery and is home resting comfortably.  So thankful and blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment